Even when married, a spouse cannot be forced to have sexual contact.

Although the offences could be used to charge someone with acts of family violence.

For more information on the criminal laws that could be applied, please see family violence Laws.

The person who abuses the child can be: Abuse may take place in a child's home, or it may happen in other places, like other people's homes, schools, community centres or places of worship.

There are federal, provincial and territorial laws to protect children from abuse in the home.

Some types of abuse are crimes and are listed in the , provincial and territorial child protection laws could be used to stop the abuse.

Child sexual abuse happens when a person takes advantage of a child for sexual purposes.

They also include situations where someone in a position of authority or trust, or someone the child depends on, has any kind of sexual activity with the child.

A person of authority or trust could be a parent, step-parent, grandparent, older sibling, teacher or coach.

It may include a single act of violence, or a number of acts that form a pattern of abuse.